Search

luthiery wisdom from piotr mazur

piotr mazur, my 2 day old myspace friend, who added me wrote:-


Hi Mr. Ngoh
My message has been partialy lost...well,I'm just a guitar player,have never studied
music at school,yet manage to learn couple of things here and there.I've worked
for twenty years at local music store,met many great musicians there and Remi
is one of them(You sure know his taste for flat picks glued to his thumb,we would spend quite some time browsing trough my stock to get the right one...)As for the paulownia wood it's my couriosity and amazement of "how do they do that"that make me discover it:half a dozen of my friends are guitar makers,yet some questions are left without the anwers.One of them is the relation between wood density and its tonal character.Searching trough different web sites specialized in wood I found about the paulownia wood being used in making of some traditional chinese instruments;next question was is there anybody makig guitars out of it and there was a blog with some guys talking about wilde cherry first and than your statment about paulownia.And finally what was I about to say is:your paulownia guitar may suffer from its ebony fingerboard.I asked once a violin maker why do we use
the ebony for violin fingerboard and the guy told me that it's not only because of its nice apparence and wear resistance but because it dampens the instrument thus making it more easy to control its sustain:"we do not want violin to resonate after we stop the bow movement"...when I heard that I thought of one of my guitars with ebony fingerboard having great attack and missing some sustain...than I checked what google says and found somebody talking about fixing a benedetto guitar and how it got much better sounding when replaced its ebony tailpiece with a metal one.Just put in Google "ebony dampens"and you will see what people says So,maybe your guitar will shine with a rosewood fingerboard?Hope it was not to boring.Keep building them guitars!!!
Piotr
p.s.by the way I'm pretty sure you do know how your guitar should sound,I heard you playing....bravo! send some more!!